In the recent past, Israel has experienced rocket attack after rocket attack from Gaza into its territory. They have uncovered numerous terror tunnels that were intended for infiltration into Israel. And even this week, Israel announced it had thwarted an attempt to strike a navy vessel and take survivors as prisoners. Yet, we give thanks that these attempts have been prevented by the excellent IDF.
The latest tactic by Hamas is to mobilise its members to infiltrate Israel’s border, whilst using thousands of Gazans, including children, to protest at the security fence. Using the cover of a so-called “peaceful protest” there is nothing peaceful about their intent.
30,000 attended the “March of Return” when Christians were marking Good Friday and Jews were celebrating Passover. Of the 19 Gazans killed, 16 were associated to terror groups. A new report shows that 80% of casualties were active members of terror groups. Then last Friday, one week later, 20,000 rioted at the border and an estimated 10,000 tyres were set on fire causing huge plumes of black smoke to billow into the air in an attempt to disrupt the IDF’s defensive operation and enable Hamas to infiltrate the border. However, not one single terrorist was successful. Meanwhile, Israel deployed giant wind generators preventing the dangerous smoke from moving towards local Israeli towns. Some CUFI supporters made the observation watching the news that the wind was indeed blowing away from the Israeli side of the border.
We give praise to the Lord that Israel successfully defended its sovereignty and its people. This is truly an answer to prayer. Meanwhile we continue to pray that these Palestinian protesters will end their attacks against Israel and turn from the hatred they hold in their heart. We also pray about the battle for truth in the media and at the UN relating to the protests – that there will be a change of wind direction towards more favourable and accurate reporting of the threat that Israel continues to face.
Whilst tens of thousands of protesters seem huge numbers for Israel to defend itself from, David praised in the Psalms that “tens of thousands of people” surrounded him, yet he was not afraid. As we pray for Israel, let us take courage and comfort from the fact that there is no scheme of any size or any number of individuals that will be able to derail God’s plan for Israel.
Lord, how they have increased who trouble me!
Many are they who rise up against me.
Many are they who say of me,
“There is no help for him in God.” Selah
But You, O Lord, are a shield for me,
My glory and the One who lifts up my head.
I cried to the Lord with my voice,
And He heard me from His holy hill. Selah
I lay down and slept;
I awoke, for the Lord sustained me.
I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people
Who have set themselves against me all around.
Arise, O Lord;
Save me, O my God!
For You have struck all my enemies on the cheekbone;
You have broken the teeth of the ungodly.
Salvation belongs to the Lord.
Your blessing is upon Your people. Selah
Thank you for standing with Israel and joining us in prayer.
The following prayer points are to assist you as you pray. For the stories behind these prayer points, please view the CUFI Weekly News Round-up, by clicking here.
- Praise the Lord that Israel successfully prevented any breach of its border on Friday.
- Pray for those protesters that hold such hatred in their hearts towards Israel.
- Pray for the children being used by terrorists on the frontline of these protest.
- Pray for the continued protection of every IDF personnel, for the leadership at military and government level.
- Pray for all of Israel’s borders at this time, and especially those living in towns and villages close-by.
- Pray for the IDF throughout Israel considering the security risks that may emanate from further escalation of violence and incitement.
- Pray for the UK government. Praise the Lord that Britain sided with the US at the UN in not condemning Israel.
- Pray for CUFI’s campaign calling for supporters to write to the Foreign Secretary and MPs.
- Pray that this will result in the British government condemning Hamas and standing with Israel.
- Pray for the family of Mikhail Verevskoy, a Jewish man in St. Petersburg who was murdered in an antisemitic Islamist attack this week, as his wife was in labour at the time. Pray especially for her and their newborn baby at this tragic time.
- Praise the Lord for the report that Israel prevented an attack on one of its navy vessels. Praise the Lord that the plot was foiled.
And “pray for the peace of Jerusalem”