One year ago tomorrow (23 December), the United Nations voted in favour of UN Resolution 2334, describing East Jerusalem and by extension the Western Wall, as an “illegal settlement”. On that occasion the US abstained and Britain voted in favour.
A year on and the United States has completed a full U-turn after recognising Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. Praise the Lord! Shamefully, Britain and 127 other countries yesterday voted against this recognition. It shows that Resolution 2334 was just part of the slippery slope towards deligimising the capital of Israel in its entirety. For the sponsors of yesterday’s “emergency” resolution, mainly Arab states, this was just another stage in their ultimate goal of delegitiming the state of Israel itself. Disturbingly, the UK has aligned itself with the enemies of Israel. That is why at CUFI we are determined to confront these attempts to demonise Israel at the UN. We are not dealing with politics alone; those nations voting against Israel are positioning themselves against God Himself. This is a spiritual battle, which requires a spiritual response.
Thankfully, God’s Word is established and is unmovable. He has chosen Jerusalem and placed His name there, as 2 Chronicles 6:6 reminds us, “I have chosen Jerusalem, that My name may be there, and I have chosen David to be over My people Israel.”
The UN might deny it, but God has guaranteed it: Jerusalem is capital of the Jewish people.
The following prayer points are to assist you as you pray. For the stories behind these prayer points, please view the CUFI Weekly News Round-up, by clicking here.
May God bless you as you pray.
- Pray for the UK following the shameful decision to vote against US recognition of Israel. Pray that the correspondence submitted by CUFI-UK to the Foreign Office will be read with clarity and revelation and will be effective in changing the Government’s policy on this issue. Pray that influencers will be challenged and convicted.
- Pray for the United States and their response to yesterday’s resolution.
- Praise the Lord for those nations that voted against the resolution (in support of the US and Israel).
- Praise the Lord that the CUFI petition calling upon the UK Government to recognise Jerusalem as capital is now over 20,000. Pray that this will increase even further.
- Pray for persecuted Christians around the world this Christmas that are living under suffering and oppression. Pray for their safety and for the God of Comfort to surround them.
- Pray for all those affected by the terror attack in Melbourne on Thursday.
- As we approach the end of this year, we give thanks to God for His enduring faithfulness towards us. We thank Him for the ways He has used CUFI this year in advancing support for Israel and the Jewish people. We praise the Lord for every individual that has supported CUFI through the year.
- We invite you to pray for CUFI’s activities in 2018, here in the UK as well as in the US and Canada. We recognise that we need God’s wisdom and direction in every area of our work and pray that the Lord will bless the ministry. Please also pray for the Lord’s protection upon CUFI in 2018.
- Pray that 2018 will see breakthroughs in support of Israel, both nationally and within the church in the UK.
And “pray for the peace of Jerusalem”