EU member states are united in their concern over Iran’s announcement that it will begin enriching uranium up to 20%, they said in a statement released Tuesday.
“We deeply regret the worrying steps taken by Iran over the last two years,” the EU said. “The initiation of uranium enrichment to up to 20% by Iran at the underground Fordow Fuel Enrichment Plant, which was confirmed by the IAEA on 4 January, is a very serious development and a matter of deep concern.”
“We urge Iran to refrain from further escalation and reverse this course of action without delay,” it added.
The statement is in the name of the EU, which means EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs Josep Borrell released it with the consensus of all EU member states.
Last week, Iran announced it would increase uranium enrichment at the Fordow plant. The International Atomic Energy Agency confirmed that soon after. Enrichment up to 20% was one of several steps Iran’s parliament called for after the country’s top nuclear scientist was assassinated, which Tehran blamed on Israel.
Iran’s actions violate the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, as the 2015 Iran deal is known, which has “clear provisions on Fordow,” and they have “potentially severe proliferation implications,” the EU statement said.
Read More: Jerusalem Post