Plans by Iran to install advanced centrifuges at its main nuclear enrichment plant in Natanz are ‘deeply worrying’, Britain, France and Germany said on Monday. 

The three governments said plans approved by Iran’s parliament for a further expansion of the nuclear programme were contrary to a 2015 agreement between Tehran and world powers.

The Daily Mail reports:

The deal, which the US abandoned in 2018 but which president-elect Joe Biden says he wants to re-enter, is ‘the best and currently the only way to monitor and constrain Iran’s nuclear programme,’ the three countries said.

The UN’s nuclear watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), reported last month that Iran had installed and begun operating advanced centrifuges at an underground section at Natanz. 

Under the terms of Iran’s 2015 deal it is only meant to enrich uranium with a less sophisticated variety of centrifuges. 

Since May last year Iran has taken steps to violate that limit and several others laid down in the deal in retaliation for Donald Trump’s withdrawal from the deal. 

‘Iran’s recent announcement to the IAEA that it intends to install an additional three cascades of advanced centrifuges at the Fuel Enrichment Plant in Natanz is contrary to the [deal] and deeply worrying,’ Britain, France and Germany said. 

The three European powers said they had noted ‘with great concern’ a law passed by the Iranian parliament that would expand Iran’s nuclear programme. 

They also criticised the law for limiting the IAEA’s monitoring access, saying this too would be ‘incompatible’ with the deal and ‘Iran’s wider nuclear commitments’.

The bill ‘for the lifting of sanctions and protection of the Iranian people’s interests’ was approved by the powerful Guardian Council on Wednesday but has to be signed by president Hassan Rouhani to become law.

Read more at the Daily Mail

FREE COPY: Understanding the threat from Iran

Covering the threat from Iran to Israel and the West, plus the plight of the Iranian people: Read our Operation Mordecai campaign booklet online or receive a FREE copy by post.

Related Articles:

Boris Johnson condemns attack on Jewish men in Stamford Hill: ‘such prejudice is not consigned to history’

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has led condemnations after two Jewish men were brutally attacked in the London borough of Stamford Hill on the eve of Holocaust Memorial Day.“I’m appalled...

TikTok will direct users to reliable Holocaust information to stop spread of lies

TikTok has announced a number of new features it hopes will help reduce the spread of misinformation about the Holocaust on its platform. The video-sharing site says it will...

London: Two Jewish men attacked outside shop on eve of Holocaust Memorial Day

Two Jewish men were brutally attacked in London on the eve of Holocaust Memorial Day. One of the victims was left with a fractured wrist and nose and another had an eye injury and...

Majority of Israelis see bleak future for Europe’s Jews, poll shows

A survey by the Hebrew University of Jerusalem revealed Tuesday that a majority of Israelis (53%) think life for Jews in Europe will get worse in the near future, while 25%...

10 US states adopt IHRA antisemitism definition on Holocaust Remembrance Day

Ten US states announced on Wednesday that they are adopting the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance (IHRA) working definition of antisemitism. The announcement came...

Subscribe to start receiving FREE TORCH magazines from CUFI UK