Next week we mark the Centenary of the signing of the Balfour Declaration. The 1917 letter by Foreign Secretary Arthur Balfour was one of the most important political acts in modern history. Yet, the declaration was not just the right thing to do politically. It was the right thing to do Biblically. Its signing paved the way for the eventual establishing of the modern State of Israel and marked a period in British history that must never be forgotten.
Whilst Britain has not always remained reliable in its standing with Israel, the Balfour Declaration reminds us of what happens when a country aligns itself with the plans and purposes of God. As we enter this significant Centenary week, let us be mindful that Britain still has a role in standing with Israel. Furthermore, God still hears the prayers of those praying for Israel and the Jewish people. Remember that “he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep” (Psalm 121:4)
The following prayer points are to assist you as you pray. For the stories behind these prayer points, please view the CUFI Weekly News Round-up, by clicking here.
May God bless you as you pray.
- Praise the Lord for the example of Arthur James Balfour and his Cabinet that took the bold step in giving British support to a Jewish state.
- Pray that Britain today will have the courage to stand unequivocally with Israel.
- Pray for our current political leaders, including Prime Minister Theresa May, her Cabinet and the Foreign Office and Foreign Secretary, Boris Johnson.
- Pray for wisdom for our leaders. Pray for moral clarity over issues that affect Jews and Christians. Pray that Britain’s Foreign Policy will align with the will of God.
- Pray against the anti-Israel agenda that seeks to discredit Britain’s support for Israel. Pray that attempts to deligitimize and demonise Israel during this important Centenary celebration will fail.
- Pray for the protection of Prime Minister Netanyahu who visits the UK next week. Pray that his trip will be a huge success and will further strengthen the relationship between the UK and Israel.
- Pray for all forthcoming events relating to the Balfour Declaration, including the special event at the Royal Albert Hall on 7 November and other functions taking place this week.
- Pray for CUFI’s #IAmBalfour campaign that it will help raise awareness of the importance of the Balfour declaration.
- 100 years on from the Balfour Declaration, hatred against the Jewish people is still present and even recognition of the Jewish State is absent in some places, as demonstrated by the discrimination shown against the Israeli athlete in Abu Dhabi this week. Pray that attitudes likes this will change.
- Pray also against the anti-Semitism witnessed this week in Italian football. Praise the Lord for those within the sport that took action against it.
- Pray for the young child badly injured by a rock in an attack by a Palestinian terrorist this week.