“They have said, “Come, and let us cut them off from being a nation,
That the name of Israel may be remembered no more.
For they have consulted together with one consent;
They form a confederacy against You:”
Attacks on Israel, whether they be political, economical, terror within or from the outside, share the common goal of attempting to undermine and destroy the existence of Israel. One can observe that much “consultation” has taken place in opposition to the Jewish State over the duration of Israel’s 70 years of statehood and it is set to continue. But we must also note that Psalm 83 points out that this confederacy is not against Israel alone, but against God Himself (They form a confederacy against You).
The Psalmist closes with a sobering reminder, “Let them be confounded and dismayed forever; Yes, let them be put to shame and perish. That they may know that You, whose name alone is the Lord, Are the Most High over all the earth.”
The enemies of Israel may stand against the Lord today, but their position is unsustainable and not without consequence. Their agenda is set to fail and their schemes are in vain. Every nation that rises up against Israel will one day face the reality that it is the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob whom they have set themselves against. And through their ignorance, or their maliciousness against the Jewish State, they will see that His Name is the Lord, the Most High over all the earth.
- This week’s revealing by Israel that it was behind the 2007 strike against a Syrian nuclear plant, reminds us of the threat that exists at Israel’s borders. Praise the Lord that Israel’s actions prevented a potential catastrophe.
- Pray for the continued protection of Israel’s borders and for the IDF.
- As we approach Passover, pray for the safety of the Jewish people and that this will be a special time of reflection of God’s deliverance and provision.
- Pray for Archbishop Justin Welby and the letters sent by CUFI and supporters. Pray that he will correct the misleading statements and will take on board the points raised. Pray that he will use his role to strengthen support for Israel and not weaken it.
- Pray that the Labour Party will effectively address the problem of antisemitism that remains within the party. Pray that MPs of all parties will not only speak out against antisemitism, but will understand what it is that actually constitutes antisemitism. Pray for all those MPs that have courageously spoken out.
- Pray that as CUFI defends Israel and speaks out against antisemitism, we will have an even greater impact in reaching this nation.
And “pray for the peace of Jerusalem”