On 29 November 1947, the UN General Assembly voted on a partition plan for the British Mandate of Palestine that paved the way to the re-establishment of the State of Israel.
There was jubilation in Jerusalem and in Jewish communities across the world. In Rome, Jews gathered beneath the famous “Arch of Titus”, which honours the Roman emperor who had destroyed Jerusalem. Here they offered prayers of thanksgiving declaring that the land that had fallen captive 2,000 years ago had now, once again, been returned to the Jewish people. Never again would they be a people without a home.
70 years on exactly, the attitude by the UN has changed, as illustrated this week with 20 Arab-sponsored, anti-Israel resolutions, purposely intended to attack Israel on the anniversary of this occasion. Before and since Israel gained Independence, those that hate Israel have sought to delegitimise and destroy it. Yet, those that love Israel continue to gather in thanksgiving to God that this land promised to the Jewish people will always be their home.
The following prayer points are to assist you as you pray. For the stories behind these prayer points, please view the CUFI Weekly News Round-up, by clicking here.
- Praise the Lord that the UK has supported Israel by voting against an anti-Israel resolution at the UN on Thursday. Pray that this will signal the start of a more favourable position towards Israel from Britain at the UN.
- CUFI has been campaigning in recent months that Britain will stop the “Israel-bashing” and DfZ has also been praying. Praise the Lord for this answer to prayer.
- Despite Britain’s decision to oppose the Syrian-sponsored resolution this week, the UN condemned Israel in six Arab-sponsored resolutions on Thursday. Pray that this bias will end and that there will be a shake up at the United Nations.
- Pray the family of Ron Yitzhak Kukia, a 19-year-old soldier, who was killed at a bus stop in Arad, Israel, in a terror attack on Thursday. Pray that his attackers will be caught and brought to justice.
- Pray that Colonel Richard Kemp’s letter to the Kuwait embassy will be effective in reversing the national airline’s ban of Israeli passengers.
- Pray for the protection of Israel following the firing of at least 12 mortars into southern Israel from the Gaza Strip. Praise the Lord that the attack didn’t cause any injuries. Pray for Israel’s strategic and operational activities in combating the threat from Hamas and the Islamic Jihad group.
- Pray for members of the IDF; for all those protecting and defending Israel.
- Pray that anti-Semitism in the Labour Party will be rooted out.
- Praise the Lord for the 60 MEPs that have called on the EU to stop funding the anti-Israel boycott movement. Pray that their efforts will bring about a change of attitude towards Israel in Europe.
- Praise the Lord that Prime Minister Netanyahu had a successful trip to Africa this week, especially with the announcement that Israel is to open an embassy in Rwanda. Pray that Israel’s ties will get even stronger with African nations.
And “pray for the peace of Jerusalem”