Sunday, 29 November 2015

Nepalese woman stabbed in back in Jerusalem

A female Nepalese caretaker was walking down Shamgar Street in Jerusalem’s Romema neighbourhood when a Palestinian teen stabbed her from behind and then fled on foot, leaving her bleeding on the pavement with moderate wounds.

The victim, 30-year-old Hisorai Taplaya, is a Nepalese caretaker who has lived in Israel for seven years. Sitting on her hospital bed on Sunday, Taplaya said she will be celebrating her 31st birthday on Monday. She told reporters that she was walking down the street around 10 a.m. “with headphones on, listening to music and then he [the attacker] came near me, a young guy, and he put a knife or something in me.”

Taplaya said she lay on the pavement waiting for someone to help her, to no avail. She said she then crossed the street, where a bus driver helped her and called police. She was taken to Jerusalem’s Shaare Zedek Medical Center for treatment.

Police and Border Police officers arriving at the scene launched a manhunt for the attacker, who was found not long after, hiding in a construction site nearby. Police said the youth tried in vain to blend in with the other Arab construction workers at the site, and had smeared his clothes with paint to try to pass as a labourer.

Police said the attacker is a 17-year-old Palestinian from the West Bank and that they also found the knife used in the attack at the construction site. Police arrested two other suspects believed to have possibly helped him, as well.

Speaking to reporters on Sunday, Jerusalem district police commander Dep.-Ch. Avshalom Peled said the security situation in the capital “is complicated and will remain such for at least a number of weeks.”

Border Police officer stabbed in neck, moderately wounded; attacker shot dead

A 38-year-old Palestinian man from Nablus pounced on a Border Police officer patrolling Hagai Street in the Old City.

He stabbed the border policeman in the neck and lightly wounded him, before another officer shot him dead at the scene.

The second officer said he saw the Palestinian man stab his partner and so he stepped back, cocked his firearm and shot the man.

The officer was lightly-to-moderately wounded in the attack and was taken to Hadassah-University Medical Center in Jerusalem’s Ein Kerem for treatment.


Friday, 27 November 2015

Six soldiers wounded in car ramming attack in West Bank

The attack took place during an altercation between IDF forces and Palestinian demonstrators at the entrance to the village of Beit Ummar in the southern West Bank, north of Hebron.

While soldiers held back the demonstrators to protect Route 60, the main north-south road that passes nearby, they were caught by surprise by a Palestinian vehicle that raced toward them and slammed into them.

According to the Magen David Adom rescue service, four of the wounded were lightly hurt with wounds to their extremities. One was moderately hurt. A sixth was lightly hurt and refused to be evacuated to hospital, demanding to remain with the troops in the field. Two of the wounded were officers.

Soldiers shot and killed the driver, the IDF said.

The assailant was identified as Omar Za’aqiq, 19, of Beit Ummar. Photos of him were spread on social media shortly after the attack.


Two Israeli soldiers injured in car ramming attack

Two soldiers were lightly to moderately hurt in a car-ramming attack, the IDF confirmed Friday morning.

The attack occurred shortly after 7 a.m. Friday morning at the Kfar Adumim Junction, north of the West Bank city of Ma’ale Adumim and east of Jerusalem.

The driver of the Palestinian-registered automobile plowed into the soldiers as they waited for a bus.

The assailant was identified by police as 30-year-old Ramallah resident Fadi Hasib. He is the brother of the man who attempted to run over a group of Israelis at the same Kfar Adumim bus stop on Sunday.

“One of the Israelis was sent flying over the guard rail,” Ma’ale Adumim police chief Rafi Cohen said after the attack.

“A volunteer from Ma’ale Adumim, from their [police] search and rescue unit, who happened to be on the side of the road, saw what was happening. The volunteer — with professionalism, determination and speed — approached the attacker and ‘neutralized’ him,” Cohen added.