Welcome to the first weekly prayer update since changing the name to CUFI Prayer Network. And a special welcome to those that have joined in the past few days since the re-launch on Thursday.
Like you, we are passionate about praying for Israel and the Jewish people and believe that these are very significant days in which we are living. At the beginning of this week, Britain’s Foreign Secretary was on a transatlantic flight to Washington with the purpose of trying to persuade the US President not to withdraw from the Iran Nuclear Deal. Neither Boris Johnson, Angela Merkel, Emmanuel Macron, Barack Obama, John Kerry, the European Union, or indeed the bizarrely counter-productive and irrational threats from Iran could stop President Trump from making the decision he just had to make. Trump followed through with exactly what he had warned if Iran was to continue to dishonour the flawed agreement. On Tuesday, Britain, France and Germany will attend an emergency meeting called by the EU to discuss the way forward.
The UK is still convinced that the US made the wrong decision. This was reiterated yesterday evening when Theresa May spoke to Donald Trump on the phone about Iran. Yet, this week also saw a glimmer of hope from the UK Government when May condemned Iran for its missile strike against Israel on Wednesday night and supported Israel’s right to defend itself, which it did with devastating consequences to Iran’s military and intelligence infrastructure within Syria. We have been praying that the UK will boldly stand with Israel in these critical moments and we can give thanks for this answer to prayer.
The strike by Iran was unusual in that it was a direct strike (The Quds Force, the elite members of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard) instead of by its proxies. However, let it not be mistaken that the Iranian military threat towards Israel did not come about as a consequence of Trump’s announcement on the nuclear deal, despite how the media attempted to portray it. Iran has been strengthening its positions across from the Israel border for some time with the intent of striking Israel and its call to destroy the Jewish State is embedded in the regime’s ideology that has been increasing in volume. Israel had to act and they were more than ready. Firstly, Netanyahu met in Moscow on Wednesday after being invited by Putin to attend the Red Square’s Victory Day Parade. Netanyahu reminded the Russian president of Israel’s right to defend itself and discussed coordination should Israel have to respond to Iranian aggression. Secondly, Israel was well prepared when Iran struck. We give thanks to the Lord that out of 20 Iranian missiles, four were intercepted by the Iron Dome and the remaining 16 didn’t even reach Israel as the Qud Force were driven back. In retaliation, Israel made over 50 raids on specific Iranian bases in what has been described as the largest-scale attack over Syria since 1973.
Next week, Israel celebrates its 70th Independence Day, the US will move the embassy to Jerusalem, Palestinian protests against Israel are expected to start Monday and the Gaza border is also expected to be a hot-spot as Hamas urges followers upon the start of Ramadan to step up its riots.
Below are some prayer points to assist you as you pray. Thankfully, we can have full confidence that “He who watches over Israel neither slumbers of sleeps”. (Psalm 121:5). The Lord is Sovereign and His Word provides us with certainty in an uncertain world. Are our eyes towards Him? The Psalmist reminds us to lift our eyes to the hills for our help “comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth”. Psalm 121 continues,
“The Lord is your keeper; The Lord is your shade at your right hand. The sun shall not strike you by day, Nor the moon by night.”
As we celebrate 70 years of Israel’s statehood next week, we are reminded that it is the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob who watches over Israel. May glory and praise be to His Name. And may His love and blessings be poured out upon the land and its people at this special time.
The following prayer points are to assist you as you pray. For the stories behind these prayer points, please view the CUFI Weekly News Round-up, by clicking here.
- Praise the Lord for God’s faithfulness towards the State of Israel over 70 years. Pray especially for Israel as the nation celebrates next week. Pray that it will be a time of joy and blessing.
- Praise the Lord that the United States and Guatemala will open their embassies on Monday and Tuesday respectively. Praise the Lord that Paraguay also announced this week of its plan to move its embassy to Jerusalem.
- Pray for Israel’s safety over the coming days.
- Praise the Lord for America’s strong stand with Israel and that the Lord will continue to guide President Trump and Vice-President Pence.
- Pray for the EU meeting on Tuesday involving UK, France and Germany to discuss the Iran Nuclear Deal.
- Pray for Theresa May and Boris Johnson. Pray that UK Government will strengthen its support for Israel; pray that there will be moral clarity in determining how the UK should stand with Israel. Praise the Lord that the UK did the right thing in supporting Israel’s right to defend itself this week.
- Praise the Lord that Iran’s attack on Israel this week failed. Pray for Israel’s continued protection, for the IDF, security personnel and government leaders. Pray especially for PM Netanyahu and his Cabinet as they determine the right strategy in dealing with Israel’s enemies.
- Pray about the Palestinian protests planned next week to coincide with “Nakba Day” and also the start of Ramadan. Pray that hearts will be softened towards Israel and that those terror groups, such as Hamas, that seek to exploit and incite will be brought to nothing.
- Pray for CUFI’s on-going Parliamentary campaigns, including calling upon Government to condemn the Hamas-led protest at the Gaza border. Please also pray for CUFI’s efforts to prevent the Al-Quds march in London and banning of Hezbollah.
And pray for the peace of Jerusalem